Best Toothpaste for Whitening, Sensitivity, Kids & More
Clinical content featured by Byte is reviewed and fact-checked by a licensed dentist or orthodontist to help ensure clinical accuracy.
We follow strict sourcing guidelines and each page contains a full list of sources for complete transparency.
Table of Contents
- The Importance of Toothpaste
- Whitening Toothpaste
- Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
- Natural Toothpaste
- Training Toothpaste
- Toothpaste for Kids
- The Right Toothpaste for You
Today, our options in quality toothpaste seem endless.
There are toothpaste options dedicated to whitening teeth and lessening tooth sensitivity. Some types of toothpaste are designed specifically for kids as well as people who want to use only natural products.
Keep reading to learn about the top toothpaste options for all dental needs.
The Importance of Toothpaste in Oral Care
For most people, dental care isn’t the most exciting topic. But again and again, research shows that it is an important one.
Oral health is directly linked to our overall health and can provide valuable insight into the state of our bodies and immune system. It can also provide indications of possible health concerns like chronic illness and inflammation.
As we see evidence of the connection between our dental health and general well-being, the importance of a strong daily oral care routine becomes even more clear. With good daily habits, we can work to prevent decay and gum problems — the main causes of most oral health issues.
One of the most important aspects of any dental care routine is brushing. This simple step can have a huge impact on the health of your teeth and mouth, especially when it’s done consistently, with the right products.
In addition to a good toothbrush, you need the right toothpaste. Fortunately, with today’s dental product advancements, there’s no shortage of toothpaste options. Finding the ideal toothpaste for your specific needs can help ensure your time brushing is as comfortable and effective as possible, setting you up for success in your daily dental routine.
An easy and often affordable option for smile improvement, whitening toothpaste is in high demand these days. There are many choices on the market.
Most include a hydrogen peroxide formula for brightening. While whitening toothpaste won’t change the hue of your natural teeth, it can brighten your bite and remove surface stains.1
- Colgate Optic Renewal Teeth Whitening Toothpaste: With a patented 3% hydrogen peroxide formula, cavity-fighting fluoride, and fresh mint flavor, this affordable Colgate classic is a popular choice for whitening. It is about $10 for a pack of two 3 oz. tubes, on Amazon.
- CO. by Colgate Oh So Dazzling Enzyme-Powered Whitening Toothpaste: This sugar-free and vegan toothpaste claims to be the first toothpaste in the U.S. to use naturally derived enzymes to boost its hydrogen peroxide whitening formula. It also promises super fresh breath and no tooth sensitivity. It is about $15 for a 4 oz. tube at Ulta.
- Supersmile Professional Whitening Toothpaste with Fluoride: A pricier option, Supersmile claims this USA-made paste removes surface stains and blocks plaque buildup 10 times better than other leading toothpaste — all while supporting good gum health and strengthening tooth enamel. It costs about $25 for a 4.2 oz tube on Amazon.
Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
Keeping up with a good dental hygiene routine can be difficult for people who experience tooth sensitivity. Brushing can result in pain and discomfort, often discouraging those with sensitive teeth from brushing at all.
Using a toothpaste designed for sensitivity can help to eliminate this problem and encourage more brushing, all while preventing tooth sensitivity throughout the day. This can be especially important for older adults or those with developmental issues.\ \ Here are some top toothpaste options for sensitivity:
- Sensodyne Pronamel Breath Enamel Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth: Sensodyne is a well-known brand and has long been a leader in sensitivity tooth care. Their Pronamel toothpaste is a favorite among users for its protection from pain triggers like cold, heat, and acid. It also protects teeth from the erosion caused by acidic foods, and it fights cavities and bad breath. It costs about $22 for a pack of four 4 oz. tubes.
- Hello Sensitivity Relief and Whitening Fluoride Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth: Made with no dyes sugars, or parabens, Hello’s sensitivity formula instead uses ingredients like aloe vera, coconut oil, and a silica blend to clean, polish, and protect teeth from sensitivity. It also has whitening properties, and it uses fluoride to fight off cavities and decay. It costs about $18 for a pack of four 4.7 oz. tubes.
- Crest Sensitive & Gum All Day Protection Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste: With overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon and a formula clinically proven to fortify gums and protect teeth, this mint-flavored paste is an ideal choice for someone looking to take extra care of their gums and avoid sensitivity. It’s approved by the American Dental Association as anti-cavity, anti-sensitivity, and anti-gingivitis. It claims to start soothing immediately. It costs about $7 for a 4.1 oz. tube at Target.
For toothpaste shoppers who are looking for a “cleaner” paste without harsh chemicals or ingredients, there are many natural choices widely available on today’s market.
Here are some top natural toothpaste options:
- Tom's of Maine Fluoride-Free Antiplaque & Whitening Natural Toothpaste: This refreshing peppermint-flavored paste is a long-time favorite of those seeking a fluoride-free whitening option. Its formula uses no artificial sweeteners or preservatives, and the tubes themselves are recyclable. It costs about $9.50 for a pack of two 5.5 oz. tubes.
- Native Whitening Wild Mint & Peppermint Oil Fluoride Natural Toothpaste: This trendy paste combines the cavity-fighting power of fluoride with serious minty vibes and a clean ingredient list (no sulfates or artificial preservatives). It costs about $10 for a 4.1 oz. tube at Target.
- Jason Healthy Mouth Tartar Control Toothpaste - Tea Tree Oil & Cinnamon: Jason is one of the most trusted names in natural personal care. This natural toothpaste is fluoride-free and uses the power of tea tree oil, along with grapefruit seed extract, to clean and protect teeth — all with a burst of cinnamon flavor. It costs about $8 for a 4.2 oz. tube at Target.
Training Toothpaste for Babies & Toddlers
Because they’re just learning about brushing their teeth and may not rinse or spit out after a brush, it’s important that babies and toddlers use a training toothpaste that’s gentle and safe if swallowed.Here are some popular picks for babies and toddlers:
- Hello Natural Apple Flavor Kids Fluoride Free Training Toothpaste: For parents looking for a fluoride-free training option, Hello’s apple-flavored training toothpaste is a favorite, with natural ingredients like aloe vera and plant-based sweeteners. It costs about $14 for a pack of four 1.5 oz. tubes on Amazon.
- Tom's of Maine Fluoride-Free Toddler Training Toothpaste: A well-known name in natural dental care, Tom’s of Maine’s fluoride-free training toothpaste is gentle, fruity, and free from artificial preservatives, flavors, or dyes. It costs about $14.50 for a pack of three 1.75 oz. tubes on Amazon.
- Jack N’ Jill Natural Toothpaste: With a mission of “making toothbrushing fun for kids,” Jack N’ Jill offers safe-to-swallow training toothpaste that use natural ingredients like xylitol and calendula as well as organic strawberry and blueberry flavors. It costs about $14 for a pack of two 1.76 oz. tubes.
Toothpaste for Kids
It’s important for kids to develop consistent daily dental routines, including brushing and flossing, to establish a lifelong commitment to dental health and prevent future cavities and poor habits. A fun and enjoyable toothpaste can help make that job a little easier.Here are some toothpaste options that kids love:
- Hello Unicorn Sparkle Kids Toothpaste, Fluoride Toothpaste: With fun packaging, a tasty natural bubblegum flavor, and a name like Unicorn Sparkle, it’s no wonder this anti-cavity fluoride toothpaste is a top choice among kids and parents alike. It costs about $14 for a pack of three 4.2 oz. tubes.
- Tom's of Maine Fluoride Free Children's Toothpaste: This fluoride-free choice features a strawberry-flavored formula that uses gentle ingredients like silica and calcium to clean kids’ teeth. It costs about $12 for a pack of three 5.1 oz. tubes.
- Crest Kids Marvel's Spiderman Toothpaste: Kids who love superheroes will also enjoy this Spiderman-themed strawberry toothpaste, while parents will appreciate its effective anti-cavity and enamel strengthening formula. It costs about $10 for a pack of three 4.2 oz. tubes.
The Right Toothpaste for You
No matter which type of toothpaste you use, the key is to brush regularly with it. Aim to brush twice per day for at least two minutes. Add in daily flossing and regular visits to your dentist, and you’re setting yourself up for good oral health.
Oral Health Is Key to Overall Health. (October 2021). Harvard Health Publishing. Date fetched: July 2, 2022.
Oral Health: Essential Element of Healthful Aging. Today’s Geriatric Medicine. Date fetched: July 2, 2022.
Periodontal Disease. (July 2013). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Date fetched: July 2, 2022.
Oral Hygiene. (April 2022). Cleveland Clinic. Date fetched: July 2, 2022.
Sensitive Teeth. MouthHealthy.org by the American Dental Association. Date fetched: July 2, 2022.
Baby's First Teeth: Should You Use Toothpaste? Colgate. Date fetched: July 2, 2022.
Healthy Habits. MouthHealthy.org by the American Dental Association. Date fetched: July 2, 2022.
1 A Critical Review of Modern Concepts for Teeth Whitening. (September 2019). Dentistry Journal. Date fetched: July 2, 2022.