How Byte Compares to SmileDirectClub
Clinical content featured by Byte is reviewed and fact-checked by a licensed dentist or orthodontist to help ensure clinical accuracy.
We follow strict sourcing guidelines and each page contains a full list of sources for complete transparency.
Table of Contents
- Key Facts
- How to get Started
- Treatment Timeline
- Professional Supervision
- Comparing Cost
- Which Provider is more Convenient?
- Comparing Appearance
- Comparing Customer Experience
- Which Teeth Aligner Company is Right for you?
Both Byte and SmileDirectClub tap into the power of telemedicine to brighten your smile. You might never need to walk into an office and meet your oral health professional to discuss your aligners. But you'll have a skilled team helping you every step of the way.
Both companies are excellent options for clear aligner treatment, and each provide unique benefits that may be appealing depending on your preferences. Here's what you need to know to help you make the right decision:
|Getting started||At-home impression kit||At-home impression kit or in-person option|
|Average treatment timeline||4 months||4–6 months|
|Professional supervision||Telemedicine||In-person assessment available; telemedicine treatment|
|Cost||About $2,000||About $2,000|
|Convenience||Very convenient||Very convenient|
|Appearance||Clear aligners||Clear aligners|
Key Facts Comparing Byte & SmileDirectClub
Both Byte and SmileDirectClub offer the following:
- Short treatment programs lasting 4 months (on average)
- Low cost of about $2,000
- Telemedicine options, so you can skip in-person appointments
- Nighttime aligner options
- Free tooth whitening kits
Byte offers HyperByte*, an innovative tool that speeds up treatment time and makes aligners less painful. And Byte offers discount plans to ensure that you don't pay more than you should for your smile.
SmileDirectClub offers an in-person assessment option, allowing you to skip at-home impression kits.
How to get Started
Dental professionals won't know how to fix your teeth until they assess your smile. Both Byte and SmileDirectClub offer methods to connect your teeth with someone who can help. But your route to a perfect smile differs with each option.
Getting started with Byte
If aligners are right for you and you choose Byte, you'll do all the work remotely. The Byte team will send an impression kit, and you'll push your teeth into trays filled with putty. Send those trays back to Byte, and you'll receive a treatment plan in return.
You'll see a 3D model that details how your teeth look now and how each tray will change the shape. You'll also see how your teeth will look when the work is done.
The team is available to answer questions, address concerns, and help you feel totally comfortable with your plan before you get started. This is an important decision, and you'll be supported by experts.
How does Byte work?
After you've approved your impression kit, these are steps you’ll take:
- Accept your trays. You'll get a box filled with aligners, clearly numbered for convenience. Byte sends 15 trays and the rest in another shipment.
- Wear your aligners. Snap your trays on your teeth, and keep them on as directed. If you're using traditional aligners, you'll wear them all day. If you're using nighttime aligners, you'll wear them all night.
- Check in. Take photos of your teeth and upload them on the app. These check-ins ensure that your teeth are moving as expected.
- Change trays. Follow your plan, and change aligners as directed.
- You're done! In just a few months, you'll have the smile you always wanted.
Getting started with SmileDirectClub
Choose SmileDirectClub, and you will start your path to smile perfection in one of two ways:
- In person: Head to a SmileShop or a local participating dentist, and a technician will take 3D images of your teeth. The appointment takes about 30 minutes. Locations can be limited depending on where you live, so do your research first.
- Remote: Purchase an impression kit, and take impressions of your teeth at home.
How does SmileDirectClub work?
Here’s how SmileDirectClub works:
- Accept your treatment plan. Log into the app, and you’ll see a 3D model of your teeth after treatment.
- Accept your trays. All the aligners you need for your new smile come labeled for your convenience.
- Wear your aligners. Choose standard trays, and you’ll wear them all day. Use the nighttime option, and you’ll wear them at night.
- Connect with your team. Check in via the app, showing your team how your teeth look now.
- Change trays. Follow your treatment plan, and swap out aligners per your team’s directions.
- Finish! In a few months, you’re done with treatment.
Treatment Timeline: Which is Quicker?
In general, an aligner system will be much faster than braces. These plastic trays may look a little bit delicate at first glance, but they have a lot of power to move your teeth from the roots up, and they work quickly. Both SmileDirectClub and Byte offer innovations that could shorten your path to a better smile.
|Average treatment time||4 months||4–6 months|
|Shortening and comforting techniques||HyperByte* (an aligner vibrating tool)||Smart Sculpt to carefully monitor how teeth move; Comfort Sense aligners that progress from soft to firm|
Byte Treatment Timeline
Byte treatment programs are some of the shortest available. Byte aligners come with an innovative tool called HyperByte®*. Here's how to use it:
- Put your aligners on. The device works when the trays are on your teeth.
- Hold the handle. Grasp the handle with your hand and place the bite plate in your mouth.
- Turn on the device. A timer will start, and you'll feel the vibrations begin.
- Wait for 5 minutes. Don't remove the device until you're notified that the work is finished.
Gentle vibrations like this may help to lessen discomfort and speed up treatment times.
Currently, this technology is only available with Byte aligners. If a quick route to a better smile is critical for you, Byte is a great choice.
SmileDirectClub Treatment Timeline
SmileDirectClub can move teeth within 4 to 6 months. Two methods speed up treatment times.
Smart Sculpt technology allows the team to carefully coordinate how each tooth moves. Planning like this can ensure that teeth don’t block one another, so they can shift in perfect alignment.
The Comfort Sense plan moves people through aligner firmness. Trays start soft and harden as you move closer to your perfect smile. These subtle changes could help your teeth to move faster.
Both Byte and SmileDirectClub tap into the power of telemedicine to brighten your smile. You'll have a skilled professional helping you each step of the way.
But SmileDirectClub also offers an in-person option for people who want help with making impressions of their teeth.
|Byte||Smile Direct Club|
|How many professionals?||200+||225+|
|How are you matched?||Your state of residence||Your state of residence|
Byte Supervision & Support
Byte has a nationwide network of over 200 licensed dentists and orthodontists. You'll be matched with a dental professional licensed in your state.
Your clinical support team is there to oversee every step of your smile improvement program. Log into the Byte portal, and you'll see a 3D model of how your teeth will move. You can reach out to your team at any time by logging on.
SmileDirectClub Supervision & Support
SmileDirectClub relies on a network of over 200 dentists and orthodontists. You'll work with someone licensed to do business in the state where you live.Every 90 days, you’ll check in with that dentist when you log into your account. You can also talk with your dental team directly at any time through the website.
Comparing Cost: Which is Less Expensive?
Byte and SmileDirectClub have similar pricing plans. Choose either and expect to pay about $2,000 for a better smile.
Both also offer monthly installment payment plans. But there are subtle differences in how the pricing works, and that could lead to cost savings.
|Byte||Smile Direct Club|
|Discounts||Military, student, and more||Coupons & promotions can be available|
How much does Byte Cost?
Byte pricing is straightforward:
- Day aligners: $1,999 (one-time payment) or $82 per month
- Night aligners: $2,399 (one-time payment) or $99 per month
At Byte, we offer a variety of cost-savings initiatives, including these:
- Military discounts
- Student discounts
- First responder discounts
- Promotional offers
- No fees for early payments
Byte also offers a lifetime guarantee. If your teeth ever move out of alignment, and you can prove that you followed your treatment plan carefully, you can qualify for a new plan and new trays at no cost.
How much does SmileDirectClub Cost?
Both day aligners and night aligners cost $2,050 (one-time payment) or $89 per month.
SmileDirectClub offers the Lifetime Smile Guarantee. This program offers touch-ups for those who follow their treatment plan and qualify.
Which Provider is more Convenient?
Both Byte and SmileDirectClub make dental care quick, easy, and convenient. Telemedicine options let you skip the hassle of appointments and do the work at home.
How Convenient is Byte?
Byte makes improving your smile very easy.
- Find your starting place. Impression kits come to you, and staff is available to help you if you have trouble.
- Monitor your progress. The intuitive app makes tracking your teeth easy and fun.
- Stay connected. Staff is available right from your phone when you need help.
How convenient is SmileDirectClub?
SmileDirectClub also offers an intuitive app experience. If you want help with impression kits, you can visit a local participating dentist or visit a SmileShop.
|Byte||Smile Direct Club|
|Impression kit options||At home||At home or in person|
Comparing Appearance: Byte vs. SmileDirectClub
Clear aligners aren't invisible. If people look very closely, they'll notice trays wrapping around your teeth. Both Byte and SmileDirectClub use clear materials during your treatment process.
Byte Clear Aligners
Byte clear aligners are the following:
- Transparent: Trays are made of BPA-free, medical-grade, polymer film.
- Straight: They don't dip up and down to follow your gum line.
- Comfortable: Trays snap on your teeth and don't move up when you talk.
SmileDirectClub Clear Aligners
Smile Direct Club clear aligners are the following:
- Transparent: Trays are made of BPA-free clear plastic.
- Variable: Trays used early in treatment are soft, and they firm up as your plan progresses.
- Short: Trays cover about a third of each molar, but they don’t wrap all the way around.
Comparing the Customer Experience
Aligners are easy to use, and most people don't need a lot of instruction. But you may need to stay in close contact with your team to ensure your teeth are moving properly. The customer experience varies a bit between Byte and SmileDirectClub.
What can Customers Expect with Byte?
Use the Byte system, and you can expect the following:
- Support from the same people: Each customer receives a personal advisor to answer questions.
- Easy replacements: Lose or break an aligner, and order a replacement online in just minutes.
- Dental supervision: A dental professional licensed in your state reviews each step of your treatment program.
What can customers expect with SmileDirectClub?
Choose Smile Direct Club and you can expect the following:
- Professional care: A dental expert looks over each part of your plan.
- App-based treatment: Connect with the team virtually, and know someone is always available to answer questions.
Which Teeth Aligner Company is Right for you?
Both Byte and SmileDirectClub offer clear aligner treatment to improve your smile. And both staff professionals to help your smile look clean and bright.
Is Byte Right for Me?
Byte offers the following benefits:
- Some of the fastest average treatment timelines available
- Exceptional customer service from a team that knows you and your mouth
- Affordable care, including discounts
- Nationwide availability, even if doctors aren't in your city or town
Is SmileDirectClub right for me?
If you want an in-person experience to help with your impressions, SmileDirectClub is a better option. Visit your local dentist or head to a SmileShop.
* Preliminary clinical studies of small groups of users have shown that daily recommended use of a high-frequency seating device functionally equivalent to HyperByte with clear aligners may help with comfort and speed of tooth movement.
Frequently Asked Questions. SmileDirectClub.
Meet the Dentists and Orthodontists Behind Your New Smile. SmileDirectClub.
Frequently Asked Questions. Byte.
The Effects of Brief Daily Vibration on Clear Aligner Orthodontic Treatment. (December 2018). Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists.